wee splattering on legs

Binky time, chat about bunnies and their ways.
weedug

wee splattering on legs

Post by weedug »

Floppy and Blossom have problems with their hind leg joints, and their rear ends can be really messy. Most of it I think is wee rather than poop.

Anyone any ideas how to keep them cleaner? I don't want their skin to start getting sore.
Hunnybunny2007

Re: wee splattering on legs

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

Are they sitting in wee, I found vet bed really helpful with Digby :)
weedug

Post by weedug »

I don't think they are sitting in it, although it's hard to tell. I think it might be going over their legs when they wee, and because of their problems they're not cleaning themselves.

I have some vetbed for them, but not in their litter tray. I use megazorb and hay in them.
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Ah sorry- I now realise you want to prevent soreness, so guess skin is not sore yet but if it does get sore...

I have found Nelson's CALENDULA cream for rough skin (available from Holland and Barratt ( and probably other health shops, and online) excellent for sore skin on bunnies. :)
It costs around £4 -£6 for a 30g tube and has a long shelf life.

http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/nelson ... tAodnkGEsA

I used to bathe the inner leg area with cottonwool pads soaked in lukewarm water and gently pat dry with a soft cloth, then apply the cream. It works quickly ( after a day or so) and it feels so soothing and smells gorgeous.It soaks in almost instantly too.
(One of the added benefits was that it cured my eczema as I tried it on myself first!) :)
sue :)
ps - I would suggest, to try it on a tiny area first even though this is natural stuff- just in case a bunny had a reaction to any of the ingredients, and not to mix it with other creams/ointments.
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
bb mommy

Post by bb mommy »

Oscar has problems with his back legs (after being confined in a 30" hutch for 3 years), so I keep the inside of his legs and around his butt shaved so he's easier to keep clean.

Its worth mentioning also that excessive staining of urine can also be due to bladder problems, so worth being aware of too.

Hopper Haven Sanctuary www.hopperhaven.org.uk