Coco our elderly partially blind bunny

We love to share photos and stories about our furry friends
sdf76

Coco our elderly partially blind bunny

Post by sdf76 »

Despite his age, 11 and a half years, and his many health problems Coco still leads a happy life.
As many of you already know he spends his time partly with my daughter bunlover who lives near London and partly with me, in Gloucester.
He's presently with bunlover and she sent me photos of him rompsing around the nearby green. :)

I thought you might like to see some photos of him taken a couple of days ago. :)
He's happy to go on a harness and is more like a little dog in his ways sometimes the way he sits up straight waiting for you on the mat and cocks his head to one side with those big fat velvety helicopter ears. :) ..............................and here he is again...Oh no? ......It's a little Affenpinscher dog :))
Image ......................... Image

Although he's partially blind he loves a change of scenery.

He leads the way and decides when he wants to go back in. :)

Just a note...
Coco has always been happy to have a harness put on... this is a bunny who can give a painful bite (and has)... so he would let us know in no uncertain terms if he wasn't happy!
Most rabbits hate a harness and can get tangled or be in danger from dogs if you take them out. (bunlover's green is outside her home and she has easy access back indoors should she see any dogs approach. )
Never force a rabbit to wear a harness.

sue :)
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
susie bun

Re: Coco our elderly partially blind bunny

Post by susie bun »

Lovely to see Coco enjoying his hop about the green. :x I like his colourful harness.
Spenser is pondering a new signature...
kermit

Post by kermit »

Awww, what a cute wee oldie :)
My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today.
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

It's lovely to see Coco still enjoying his life at such an old age :)

I've only tried using a harness on 2 of our buns, but neither were keen so we never tried again with the others, rabbits are individuals and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another (same with food choices) ;)
bunlover

Post by bunlover »

He did enjoy his time out I do often forget he is almost blind as he copes soo very well. I shall take a few pics of him free ranging (which he does daily) in our garden too. He does have a run (12x3ft) attatched to his 4x4 playhouse which he sometimes sits in even when it's free range time lol he's such a funny old bunny. He has thank fully taken to Ben (our 4month old) really well as we did worry. Bens little face lights up when he sees coco too :) (we don't leave unattended and are v careful with them to keep injurys to either ben or coco ) Arthur and the girls are not so impressed with Benjamin however and dislike when he shrieked in excitement to see them !!!!!
Mrs. Bunnykins

Post by Mrs. Bunnykins »

Coco is adorable. :ymhug: :ymhug: :x :x
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Mrs. Bunnykins wrote:Coco is adorable. :ymhug: :ymhug: :x :x
he is indeed :) and I will be looking forward to seeing him at Christmas. :)
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

He's a lucky bunny to have two caring homes :)
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Hunnybunny2007 wrote:He's a lucky bunny to have two caring homes :)
we know he had a harsh time in his earlier years :( so we do spoil him :)
He's sharp witted and something of a character too (see below)and I love his unusual looks.

Once, many years ago, when we were trying to bond him with Sooty, bunlover and I had placed them in a small area on the grass where they were initially both grazing happily. Then Coco laid down and waited till Sooty's back was turned and crept slowly along the grass towards her just using his front paws like a sniper (His eyesight wasn't quite as bad then). Each time she turned around to look at him he would instantly stop and ignore her and pretend to graze again. I've never seen anything like it!
It was just an introductory meeting and we thought it had gone Ok but it was some time before we could get together again (Sooty was with me and Coco with bunlover) and Sooty went to the Bridge (aged 10yrs) before we could try a proper bond. But Coco later bonded with Kitty and had happy years with her before she also went to the Bridge ( also aged 10yrs).

We won't bond him now because of his health problems and age, but we try to make sure he has a happy life. :)