Been foraging for bunny food

Binky time, chat about bunnies and their ways.
Foofy

Been foraging for bunny food

Post by Foofy »

I've been foraging for bunny food this afternoon :) found a plentiful supply of and picked blackberry leaves, goose grass (I normally call it sticky willy :)) ) plantain, dandelion, hawthorn and picked a sample of 2 others I wasn't sure about so I posted photos on the FB page Traditional Herbe for Pet Rabbits and had them confirmed as Common Vetch and Hogweed both of which are bunny safe so will pick some of those next time.

I must admit I got very excited by the ribwort plantain in the field as they are huge the biggest I've ever seen, will be going back next weekend for more of everything :)

Anyone else been foraging lately?
Imagenew sig by Sue Gibson, on Flickr
Apache

Re: Been foraging for bunny food

Post by Apache »

Nice one!

No - not been foraging, but there are some wild bunnies that share Apache's field that I keep admiring, and pointing out to Apache (who doesn't seem impressed!).
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

Not lately, but we have loads of Blackberrys in our garden and Jon planted some Plantain in tubs last year which seems to have come back this year, and we also have a dandelion patch in the front garden :)
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

please note... if you see "plantain" on a market stall, it is a type of unripe banana, and not the type found in foraging (which is a leafy plant).

I assume you mean as in the pic below Foofy?

sue :)
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

sdf76 wrote:please note... if you see "plantain" on a market stall, it is a type of unripe banana, and not the type found in foraging (which is a leafy plant).

The one we grow is just a leafy plant :)
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

sdf76 wrote:please note... if you see "plantain" on a market stall, it is a type of unripe banana, and not the type found in foraging (which is a leafy plant).

No not this type this is Broad Leaf Plantain, which is also bunny safe :)

I picked Ribwort Plantain as in the pictures in this link http://pledgeapound.easysearch.org.uk/s ... age&tab=es

There is also another kind Hoary Plantain, but all 3 types are bunny safe :)
Rabswood

Post by Rabswood »

I'm too scared to feed mine forage as I am rubbish at identifying plants. I do get them Hawthorn and dandelions though. I don't give them Blackberry leaves because the leaves are so prickly I worry bout their little mouths. The seem to chew around the spikes on the Hawthorn. When I first fed them Hawthorn I would cut all the spikes off using scissors!
Mummy to the Rabsville Bunnies

Pledge a Pound Jewellery10% Pot Total £4.00
Donated via paypal 8/11/13

Oxo Rabswood a little fighter!
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

Rabswood wrote:I'm too scared to feed mine forage as I am rubbish at identifying plants. I do get them Hawthorn and dandelions though. I don't give them Blackberry leaves because the leaves are so prickly I worry bout their little mouths. The seem to chew around the spikes on the Hawthorn. When I first fed them Hawthorn I would cut all the spikes off using scissors!
If you have trouble indentifying bunny safe plants (as I sometimes do) you could photograph them and post on the 'Traditional Herbs for Pet Rabbits' Facebook page and they will tell you if they're safe or not, I did this at the weekend for the Vetch & Hogweed :)

Blackberry leaves are fine to give to bunnies prickles and all :) they are excellent for clearing up mucky bottoms in bunnies, all 4 of mine love them. Hawthorn is also fine to give prickles and all, bunnies don't seem to bother about the prickles at all on either plant.
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Didn't Brer rabbit live in the bramble patch? ;) Having said that... I do have a thornless French blackberry bush I give mine leaves off. :)
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

sdf76 wrote:Didn't Brer rabbit live in the bramble patch? ;) Having said that... I do have a thornless French blackberry bush I give mine leaves off. :)
Yes I am sure he did live in a bramble patch :) my bunnies just get wild blackberry leaves, didn't know you could get a thornless variety, good for humans when picking the fruit :D