My Inca has broken her toe in her front Paw and it is infect

Binky time, chat about bunnies and their ways.
kermit

My Inca has broken her toe in her front Paw and it is infect

Post by kermit »

Came home and picked up Inca, she kinda flinched a bit. Put her back down and she ate up her veg. Then picking her up again I notice that her front paw seemed swollen, so I have a feel about and one of her toes is bending right back. On further investigation I feel a scab.....pick it off and loads of pus comes out

So I have got out as much pus as I can, then dipped her foot in dilute iodine and cleaned her up. She seems ok in herself and she is only flinching when I touch her foot.

She is already on daily Metacam and Ceporex antibiotics for other issues.

I phoned the out of hours vet and he said that all he would have suggested is what I have done and said she should be fine to wait until tomorrow for an appointment.

My wee lassie. She can hardly use her back legs and now this I think she must have caught it as she often gets about dragging one of her back legs, so puts a lot of weight on the front.

I am devastated
My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today.
Apache

Re: My Inca has broken her toe in her front Paw and it is in

Post by Apache »

I'm so sorry to hear that, I hope she is much better soon x
The Rabbit Retreat

Post by The Rabbit Retreat »

Oh Kirsty, first of all please, please don't blame yourself, it's nothing you did or didn't do, when you have bunnies that don't have 4 fully functioning limbs then they use the ones they are able to but in other ways and occassionally an 'accident' happens, I know you know this Kirsty and it's only normal to blame yourself but there is nothing you could have done to prevent it

You did exactely the right thing for her and I would have suggested warm salt water to bathe her foot in, but Iodine is brilliant stuff and I am sure that will help just as much, if not better

You are a brilliant bunny mummy and you do everything you can for your bunnies, I really hope the infection clears up soon, sending her masses and masses of get better vibes, and sending you (((hugs)))
hurricanhoney

Post by hurricanhoney »

Hope you get on ok at the vets. Sending vibes.
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

I agree with all that Theo said, you are a great bunny mum :) Sending lots of vibes for a speedy recovery :)
kermit

Post by kermit »

Right, well I cut her fur last night and found a big abscess, squeezed as much pus out as I could and cleaned it out with iodine, then put some Manuka Honey on it. Done the same this morning. Managed to get a fair bit of pus out this morning too.

So waiting for the vets to open and I will hopefully get an appointment for this afternoon.

She is totally fine in herself, eager for her food and teeth purring when you stroke her head, so all good in that respect.

She was sitting on my knee cuddled in for about 2 hours last night, wanted to make sure she never licked all the honey off her foot!
susie bun

Post by susie bun »

Sending lots of vibes for poor Inca. She already has so much to contend with, bless her.
Spenser is pondering a new signature...
Orange

Post by Orange »

Poor little Inca. Sending her lots of get well vibes for today.
bunnybunny

Post by bunnybunny »

I just wanted to add my vibes and get well wishes to Inca. I'm so very sorry to read this Kermit.
xxxGeri / bunnybunny
kermit

Post by kermit »

Well we have been to the vets and it is not so good.

She has 100% broken her toe and vet thinks abscess is probably from the break. Basically he was pretty negative tbh, saying that she has so many other things wrong with her and I should think about what I am putting her through.

I am devastated to say the least.

He got a fair bit of pus out of the abscess but there is still more in there I think, can feel it swollen up. Think it has spread a bit. As for her toe, well he said that he doesnt think that I should put Inca through an op to get it amputated.

So basically I have her home and I am trying to deal with the abscess buy washing it out, getting the pus out, putting Manuka honey in and injectible antibiotics.

He said that he would usually try to strap up the toe but he couldnt cos she has to let her abscess breathe and get cleaned out. But I have been thinking that it could easily be strapped to another toe....does anyone think that this could work? Am I better to leave the toe loose or am I better to tape it to the other toe? Could I do any harm doing this?