10 rabbits into Rabbit Residence yesterday

Binky time, chat about bunnies and their ways.
RabbitResidenceCat

10 rabbits into Rabbit Residence yesterday

Post by RabbitResidenceCat »

Horrendous situation. Tenants moved out, left 10 rabbits (including two "mums" and babies in a 3ft hutch) and some with teeth resembling elephant tusks :( fortunately concerned neighbours and relatives of the landlord contacted the rescue and Caroline went straight over. Good thing she did too.

Sounds like the tenants themselves weren't shining stars, apparently one has now been locked up on domestic abuse charges, so animal cruelty charges at this point just don't seem feasible :(

So how bad were those teeth? There are 3 with definite bad teeth needing removal, including one 5 week old baby. It will cost £400 PER RABBIT to get Iain Cope at the Cambridge Vet Group to take them out. He's so fantastic but not cheap! Quality care costs.

There's also matted fur, mucky bums, their claws were caked with poop and muck and long too. They settled in well over night, the boys a bit shell shocked but mum and babies were LOVING the space and cleanliness!

These are the four babies, the fluffiest one is the one with the dental problems

If anyone can help put a few pennies towards fixing these guys up it would be very very welcome, the rescue has had some huge vets bills lately and the funds are running low as it is :(
http://www.rabbitresidence.org.uk

Will update how these guys are getting on over the coming weeks!
Volunteer at The Rabbit Residence. Bunny mum to Bob & Pat.
RabbitResidenceEllen

Re: 10 rabbits into Rabbit Residence yesterday

Post by RabbitResidenceEllen »

I was there when they came back... I never understand how a rabbit can have teeth like that and not have starved to death. It's incredible :((

On an interesting note though, you can clearly see all six front teeth there, a rare sight.
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

Oh my goodness :-o - horrific teeth problems :( , though that does seem dear for a dental (but then I've never had a rabbit in that state).
Thank goodness you took them them in and glad the perpetrator of such cruelty is now behind bars, albeit for domestic abuse not animal neglect :( . I do hope the RSPCA proceed with a prosecution though, to get the person banned from keeping animals once they come out of prison.

Glad the 10 of them will now be cared for properly at your rescue until they can be rehomed. :)
sue :)
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny
Apache

Post by Apache »

Thats awful! I can't believe their teeth where in that state!

I'm sure they'll soon get used to lots of space and TLC :)
RabbitResidenceEllen

sdf76 wrote:Oh my goodness :-o - horrific teeth problems :( , though that does seem dear for a dental (but then I've never had a rabbit in that state).
For one thing, we are talking at least six teeth per rabbit, but also with tooth removal rather than teeth burring it is a much more serious undertaking as they will have to remove the complete root up into the bones. :(
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

OMG what a shocking situation :( I really can't believe those rabbits could eat with teeth like that :(

The previous owners, well X( X(
RabbitResidenceCat

Post by RabbitResidenceCat »

We can confirm that all the rabbits with atrocious teeth have had them clipped to reasonable length so they can eat and the youngest, who we've named Tipex, at only 5-6 weeks old and weighing just 620g, had his teeth burred down yesterday. He'll definitely need them removed, our vet was pretty horrified that they were so bad at such a young age!

We will hopefully be getting 4 of the older boys neutered in the coming days too.

Tipex's teeth:
Volunteer at The Rabbit Residence. Bunny mum to Bob & Pat.
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

What a good job all the bunnies are now safe with RR, they will certainly all find it much easier to eat now they've had their teeth clipped :)
Imagenew sig by Sue Gibson, on Flickr
RabbitResidenceEllen

They are such an adorable lot! The boys are just great big soppy creatures who adore their head rubs (sadly a great distraction to my work though!) and obviously loving their own space. And the babies are such eye candy, obviously ;)
sdf76

Post by sdf76 »

A payment of £50 has been made to Rabbit Residence vet from Pledge a Pound's Emergency Vet Care Fund to help with the dental bill for these rabbits. :)

http://pledgeapound.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5104

sue :)
Coco my 13yr old (bridge) bunny