Do I try to rehome Fatty?

Binky time, chat about bunnies and their ways.
wilford refuge

Do I try to rehome Fatty?

Post by wilford refuge »

As our FB followers will know, I had to have Herman put to sleep on Monday. He arrived last March (with his wife Fatty) from a local rescue because he was poorly and they didn't have the resources to care for him.

Now Herman is no longer with us I'm wondering if I should try to rehome Fatty? She's a lovely rabbit, very people friendly and a huge character. She's healthy, pretty good at using a litter tray despite not being spayed yet, and doesn't really chew things...so would be a wonderful pet for anyone.

She doesn't like female rabbits though, so I can't bond her in with our existing pairs or groups, and I can't take in any more rabbits at the moment because Dom loses his job mid-March, and doesn't have another job to go to yet. Plus, we can't fill up with healthy rabbits because then we'd have no room for needy cases who really require sanctuary spaces.

I'd feel bad rehoming her because I took her in as a permanent resident (with herman) and she's been here so long that I feel like she's part of the bunny family.

I'd really like your opinions on what you think I should do....or what you would do in the circumstances :)
susie bun

Re: Do I try to rehome Fatty?

Post by susie bun »

That's a really difficult decision for you to make. Is there a possibility she might take to other female rabbits better when spayed?
Spenser is pondering a new signature...
Hunnybunny2007

Post by Hunnybunny2007 »

susie bun wrote:That's a really difficult decision for you to make. Is there a possibility she might take to other female rabbits better when spayed?
This is what I was thinking ;) It's going to be a hard decidsion, have you any othe males that she could be bonded with after spaying?
Also as you are a sanctuary what about sponsorship for her?
wilford refuge

Post by wilford refuge »

susie bun wrote:That's a really difficult decision for you to make. Is there a possibility she might take to other female rabbits better when spayed?
It's a possibility...she isn't actively aggressive towards females (i.e. not a biter), but she will leap at them and box with her front feet. I only have one pair and a trio who 'might' entertain the idea of another female joining them though.
wilford refuge

Post by wilford refuge »

Hunnybunny2007 wrote:
This is what I was thinking ;) It's going to be a hard decidsion, have you any othe males that she could be bonded with after spaying?
Also as you are a sanctuary what about sponsorship for her?
I have a single neutered buck, but he is going to be rehomed too, so I don't want to bond them because people don't adopt pairs.

Sponsership is a tricky area...I don't have time for all the paperwork associated with sponsership, and I'd feel bad letting people give money towards upkeep of a healthy rabbit who I've kept as a 'pet'.

It's a tough decision :(
Rabswood

Post by Rabswood »

After a spay it would be nice for her to be rehomed with a new husbun.
Mummy to the Rabsville Bunnies

Pledge a Pound Jewellery10% Pot Total £4.00
Donated via paypal 8/11/13

Oxo Rabswood a little fighter!
Blackberry

Post by Blackberry »

If she is healthy it makes sense for her to be re-homed,and free up a sanctuary space.

I guess it also depends on how attached you are to her too......
Foofy

Post by Foofy »

If you can bear to be parted from her I think it makes sense for her to be re-homed when she has been speyed. If she has already been bonded with a boy, once speyed fingers crossed she shouldn't have any problems with another husbun, just have to hope someone's looking when you want to re-home, love her name :)
Imagenew sig by Sue Gibson, on Flickr
wilford refuge

Post by wilford refuge »

I could definitely let her go, but it would have to be to a really nice home because she's very special to me :x

If anyone on here is looking for a girly bun to bond with a neutered boy bun, please keep Fatty in mind...she really is a lovely bun with a big personality, and likes people and male buns. I think she would bond easily.
fluffers

Post by fluffers »

I would say get her speyed & then offer her up for re-homing. If a fab home comes along then letting her go won't be hard and she'll be so happy :x